Ce double timbre émis par l'île de Man en 1984 rappelle l'étrange itinéraire du cargo Lady Elizabeth (1879-1913), du fringant trois-mâts de la flotte de Karran à l'épave toujours visible aux îles Malouines (Falklands) qui lui avaient consacré un timbre repris ici.
Lady Elizabeth fut construit en 1879 pour John Wilson en remplacement d'un 658 tonnes du même nom, coulé au large de l'île de Rottnest (Australie de l'ouest) en 1878. John Wilson resta propriétaire du trois-mâts commandé par Alexander Findley de Montrose jusqu'au 15 mars 1884 quand il fait faillite et doit vendre tous ses bateaux. Le nouveau propriétaire, George Christian Karran de Castletown (île de Man), achète Lady Elizabeth en 1886. La famille Karran est une famille d'armateur mais c'est le premier bateau de George Christian. C'est lui qui commandera le voilier jusqu'à la mort de son frère aîné qui l'oblige à prendre en main le navire amiral de la compagnie, Manx King. Il conserve néanmoins Lady Elizabeth jusqu'à 1906 quand il le cède à la compagnie norvégienne Skibasaktieselskabet, dirigée par L. Lydersen, pour 3250 livres. Il aura Peter Julius Hoigh comme capitaine.
The ship was built for John Wilson as a replacement for the 658-ton, 1869-built barque Lady Elizabeth which sank off Rottnest Island, Western Australia in 1878. John Wilson remained owner of the Lady Elizabeth and was captained by Alexander Findley from Montrose until 15 March 1884 when he took out a number of loans from G. Oliver and also with the bank. Eventually John Wilson declared bankruptcy and all of his ships, including the Lady Elizabeth were sold off. The new owner was George Christian Karran of Castletown (Isle of Man) who purchased the ship in 1886. Karrans' family owned a number of ships but this was George Christian Karrans' first ship. George Christian Karran also captained the ship for a few years. George's elder brother Robert Gick Karran died leading George to command the Manx King. G.C. Karran took command of the Manx King. However, he remained owner of Lady Elizabeth until 1906. In 1906 the Lady Elizabeth was purchased by the Norwegian company Skibasaktieselskabet for £3,250. The company was managed by L. Lydersen and the Lady Elizabeth was captained by Peter Julius Hoigh.
On 4 December 1912, The Lady Elizabeth left Vancouver bound for Delagoa Bay Mozambique with a shipment of lumber. The ship encountered severe weather halfway through the voyage and was damaged just off Cape Horn. Four crew members were lost overboard, along with the ships two boats and part of her deck cargo. She also sustained damage to the deck fittings, wheel, moorings, and other parts of the ship. Captain Hoigh ordered the ship to the nearest port for repairs. The Lady Elizabeth altered course for Stanley, Falkland Islands. Fifteen miles outside Port Stanley, she strucks Uraine Rock just off Volunteer Point and suffered a six-foot break in the hull and keel along with a foot long hole. The ship began to sink but was able to get to Port Stanley for repairs. After the ship was examined, the Lady Elizabeth was condemned (declared unseaworthy) because of the damage. In June 1913, she was condemned and converted into a coal hulk. She was sold to Crown Receiver of Wrecks, Falkland Islands for £1,000. The Lady Elizabeth remained stationed there until 17 February 1936 when her mooring lines broke during a storm and she drifted to where she now lies in Whale Bone Cove in Stanley Harbour.