La Commission actuelle a été créée par la Convention de Belgrade du 18 août 1948 relative au régime de la navigation sur le Danube. La Commission du Danube est une organisation intergouvernementale de coopération pour la navigation sur le fleuve.
|Planche de timbres hongrois de 1977 présentant les onze pays-membres de la Commission du Danube avant la chute du mur de Berlin.|
Summary History of the Commissions of the River Danube 1856 - 1948
1856 Treaty of Paris: European Commission of the Danube established. Russian boundary withdrawn 20 km north of the Danube.
1857 Riparian states meet in Vienna to regulate whole river from Ulm to Braila - largely unsuccessful due to the dominance of Austria-Hungary.
1870 Sulina declared a freeport - therefore cargo could pass up the river without formality.
1878 Treaty of Berlin: European Commission's rights and privileges extended; lower Danube neutralised; Romania becomes full member of the Commission following her independence; Russia again a Danubian country after war with Turkey in 1877.
1895-99 Blasting and canal construction along the Iron Gates section of the river somewhat improves navigation.
1902 Final Sulina arm cut-off completed, thus shortening the river by 11 nautical miles.
1919 Treaty of Versailles grants four rivers including the Danube "international" status.
1921 European Commission of the Danube resumes operations; new International Commission of the Danube set up for the "fluvial" river from Ulm to Braila.
1939-44/5 Danube under German control.
1948 Treaty of Belgrade: new Danube Commission is established to regulate whole navigable river, composed only of riparian states, except for Germany (or Austria, at first).